Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Spoon Theory

I hope you all had a wonderful Labor Day weekend as we did!  When I read your comments about my camping trip, I had to chuckle.  Guess I used the word "camping" very loosely as we rented a 2-story beach house with 2 kitchens, 3 bathrooms, electricity, hot running water, etc., and did not rough it as the word "camping" seemed to have implied.  Now I feel like I cheated, lol!

Moving on to a serious subject, are you or someone you know living with chronic pain or a debilitating illness?  I hope your answer is no.

However, if your answer is yes, you might be interested in reading the "Spoon Theory" written by Christine Miserandino.   It's her personal story and analogy for explaining to a healthy person what it's like to live with a chronic illness.  You can read about it here or see a short video clip here.

I was introduced to the Spoon Theory by my niece, who's been afflicted with MS.  She asked the family to read Christine's story so we could better understand what she and so many others struggle to explain to the people around them just how difficult a normal day can be.   My heart goes out to my niece and everyone else who suffers from a chronic illness.  I sent her this card wishing her an abundance of spoons and I wish you all the same.


I am also entering this card in some challenges, as I hope this will be a way to share Christine's story and be of help to someone.

The Challenges:
Just Magnolia Challenge Blog, Week 71 - Anything Goes
ABC Challenge Blog - C is for Charms
Ooh La La Creations, #62 - Stripes
Paper Sundaes Challenge Blog, #34 - Mixed Mediums! (copics, distressed ink)

The Recipe:
Stamp:  Magnolia
Paper:  Chatterbox
Ink:  Copic Markers, Distressed Ink
Other:  Nestabilities, leaf punch, flowers, buttons, charm, pop dots, ribbon, embroidery thread

 Thanks for stopping by!



25 comments:

Alice said...

awww.... so beautiful and sweet, Shirley! beautiful coloring on Tilda! i have yet to try any magnolia images and you are making me really want to try them out!! =) love the touching story behind the card, too. i am sure your niece will treasure this. =)

Cyndi said...

beautiful card! your coloring is awesome!yah, i thought you were really "camping". hehe. sounds like it was fun though! thanks for sharing the story!

Linda said...

Your niece will love this card as the image and sentiment have so much meaning to her and your family! Thanks so much for sharing The Spoon Theory ... it's helped me make a decision I needed to make. xoxo, Linda

Take care my friend, and keep in touch!

Nicola said...

Your niece will treasure this beautiful easel card Shirley, your colouration is fabulous and the papers so pretty. I adore your wee spoon charm ... how appropriate.
Hugs,
Nicola -x-

Keep It Sweet and Simple said...

Absolutely gorgeous card. Tilda is coloured so beautifully and I love the little spoon charm.
The 'spoon theory' makes you stop and think doesn't it? Thanks for sharing it,
and for joining us at Totally Papercrafts.
Caroline xxx

Dori Shelton said...

Wow! I haven't seen this paper in ages!! I love the way you used this. The ribbon you used with paper is so pretty. Great image!

Elise said...

Shirley, this is so sweet of you to make this for your niece! She will absolutely LOVE this and it will surely brighten her day! Your colouring is LOVELY and the color combo is FABULOUS!!! GORGEOUS card Shirley, with so much meaning and love! ;) Thank you so much for the info on the book too!

LOL about your "camping" trip! Buy hey .. that's the way I'd like it too!!! hehe!

Love,
Elise

Pattie said...

Oh this is absolutely adorable - just beautiful! Thanks for joining us at Paper Sundaes!

Brenda said...

This is such a beautiful card! I'm sure it will put a smile on your niece's face! Unfortunately, I did know someone with ALS (like you read on my blog). I am going to head on over to read the spoon theory! BTW: I love your version of camping! That's my kind of camping too!

1LuvnMama said...

Thanks for sharing this Shirley. My dad and his 2 sisters (1 since passed) has moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis. I've grown up watching my aunties struggle to do the daily tasks we may take for granted.

Luv your card as it will definitely bring some comfort to your niece. You simply know how to make someone feel precious inside Shirley!

Btw, I think I wouldn't gone camping with you now that I know you were in a condo with electricity! hee, hee!

Danni said...

This is so beautiful, it's sure to bring a smile to your niece.

Jodi said...

Beautiful card Shirley! I know your niece will just love this. I have to head on over to read the spoon theory. Love this kind of camping!
Hugs
Jodi =)

Jodi said...

Shirley I've just read the spoon theory and will tell you that I can totally relate to this lady as I have gone through something really drastic and still go through it every single day of my life. Thank you for sharing this, it really means so much!
Hugs
Jodi =)

Amy said...

Thanks for the link to the Spoon Theory, I won't ever forget it.
Your card is beautiful Shirley, love the peach and green colors and the little spoon charm is awesome, your niece will love it!
LOL! Ok, your camping is my kind of camping! :)

Beebeebabs said...

Very pretty card!!!

Sue from Oregon said...

I have always loved this image...darling card!

Joy said...

such a pretty and sweet card. love the image you used as she fits perfectly to what you were describing. I do know of a friend who lives with pain and it sucks. I am only wishing the best for your niece. hope you have a wonderful day!

Fiona said...

fab card and great job on the colouring. Thanks for joining us at Paper sundaes this week.

Fi

Michelle Alejandro said...

This is such a beautiful card. Your work is always sooo awesome. The colors are so pretty together too. Hope you are doing well!

Hugs,
Michelle

Jenny V. said...

Beautiful card Shirley! Your coloring is fab. I work for a neurologist clinic and we have a few patients with MS and it is a challenge for themself and their love ones. It takes time, attention, and energy as of any disease to treat. Wishing your niece an abundance of spoons too. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Danderella said...

Gorgeous card, I love that image and you coloured her beautifully. Thanks for playing at Paper Sundaes this week.

Danielle

Teri said...

This is such a beautiful card Shirley. And the meaning behind creating it is even more touching. I love the DP and the image, oh, everything is so perfectly done! Love this! Ok, I am off to read the Spoon Theory. Thanks for sharing with us!

Anonymous said...

Simply GORGEOUS Shirley! Your Tilda is beautifully colored and the papers, ribbon, flower just complement Tilda to a "t"! Make that a "t" spoon! lol Tilda's cheeks are beautiful, I think you need to make me a coloring video!!! : )
Pam Going Postal

France Ringuette said...

Stunning card, ! Fabulous job on coloring tilda, it's sooo soft !

Thanks for joining our challenge at Paper Sundaes !

Larissa said...

Fabulous card Shirley! LOve the great colours and this image is so sweet!

Hugs,
Larissa