Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Sweet Thing


What's the first thing that comes to mind when you decide to make a card?  Is it your image, your layout, your papers? 

I knew I had to make a birthday card, I knew what image I wanted to use and I knew what DPs would go with my image, but I just could not come up with a layout.

 Sketch challenges to the rescue.  Once I decided on the sketch at Friday Sketchers, I was able to start. 

When you feel you've lost your mojo or hit a brick wall like I did, try looking through some challenges.  Not only are they challenging, they're also great for inspiration.  And if you need help in finding some challenges, visit Allison's blog.  She has an awesome list.

The challenges:
Friday Sketchers - Sketch #124
Wee Memories, #27 - Celebrate Good Times
Totally Gorjuss, #52 - Pink!
Incy Wincy Designs, #64 - Pink & Brown
Paper Play Challenges, Week 41 - Photo Inspiration (cupcakes)
Crafty Calendar Challenge, First Birthday Challenge - Birthdays

The recipe:
Stamp:  Penny Black - Sweet Thing; Stampin' Up! sentiment
Paper:  DCWV - Sweet Stack
Ink:  Memento, Copic Markers, Distressed Ink, Hero Arts Shadow Ink
Other:  Nestabilities, Ice Stickles, ribbon, flower, buttons, pop dots, twine, tag

Thanks for looking!  I really appreciate your visits!

26 comments:

kris said...

Oh this is so SWEET!! Love your creation! Image is totally cute and i LOVE the cupcake DP!! you sure you hit a brick wall?! hehe!

Unknown said...

So adorable! Thanks for sharing. Hugs :)

CHARLOTTE said...

So so sweet, Shirley. Haven't inked up my stamp yet but you have inspired me to start. Love the layout and the use of the nestability die.

Jenny said...

This is to cute! I have this stamp but haven't done anything with it yet. Isn't she sweet!?

Anonymous said...

Hi Shirley - I'm turning to sketches more and more too! Love, love, LOVE this Mimi! What a beautiful card you've created! so pretty in pink and glittery! Cool how you framed the circle! Can't think of which die it'd be! lol
I woke up thinking I'd have to use the Friday sketch today too but I hadn't looked at it yet and now I'm wondering if a circle will work! lol Guess I better get busy! TFS Shirley!
Pam Going Postal

Juls said...

so so cute!!! Hugs JUls

1LuvnMama said...

Doesn't look like you hit a brick wall here! :) Luv the layout and I always go to a sketch too if I'm drawing a blank which is ALWAYS!

This is such an adorable card . . . the person who receives it will definitely fall in luv with the colors and that cute image!

Kat said...

This is really cute, love that colour combo. Great colouring too. Thanks for joining us at TG this week.

Kat x

Danni said...

Oh my is this ever cute!! So sweet!

Vera Yates (Ling) said...

Shirley, this is so sweet! Love your card! Thank you for playing with us at Paper Play this week! :)

Brenda said...

beautiful card! good luck with the challenges and thanks for the tip...

Joy said...

sweet sketch you followed and such a cute tag! so glad you got your mojo back! love the color combo too! always a winner...pink and brown =) happy hump day to you!

Jodi said...

Really pretty and sweet card Shirley!! I love the cute hidden tag! Hope you are having a great day!
Hugs
Jodi =)

Jenny V. said...

This is so cute, I love the image and of course the yummy cupcake. You did a great job on the sketch and like how you added that tag. Have a wonderful evening.

debby4000 said...

Oh Shirley fabulous, adorable card.
luv
Debby

Cyndi said...

this is so cute Shirley! I've yet to get that stamp! i always use sketches too!

Risa said...

What a super adorable card Shirley! I love your sweet image,layout and wonderful details!
Sometimes I am online for hours looking for a layout and inspiration. What a life, I start in the morning and the next thing I know, the kids are home from school...geez!
Take care and have a great day!
hugs
Risa:)

Stephanie said...

Another delightful card Shirley, hope you're well :) I always start with the stamp / image xxx

Nikki said...

What a cutie you done a beautiful job :) Thanks for Playing Incy Wincy this Week
Hugs Nikki and the rest of the DT

Ann said...

How sweet is that image? Love your coloring! Thanks for playing the WMC this week!

Alice said...

this is such a sweet card Shirley! i LOVE the yummy colors combo. super!

Amy said...

This is darling Shirley, she couldn't look any cuter...awesome coloring! The colors are yummy and I love how you've put the flower on your tag! Perfect card!

Liz McGuire, said...

Super cute card, I love it!

Thanks for joining in the fun at Crafty Calendar.

Liz x

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

This is gorgeous!! I love the layout and papers. The image is so sweet and your coloring is awesome!
hugs,
Chris

Sue from Oregon said...

Hello Shirley...I am so far behind in my google reader, I thought I better just come snoop around and see what you have been up to before you think I have fallen off the edge LOL! I have to say this is just the happiest card! So fun!

donna mikasa said...

What a fun sketch! Perfect with little Mimi, and I love your choice of papers! Your mojo was always there, Shirley! Love to see your work!