My card today was inspired by the many beautiful monochomatic cards I've been seeing in blogland, this now being the theme at some challenge sites. I thought I'd give this style a try, too, and since I haven't felt like coloring lately, this layout was a good chance for me to use another neglected stamp and get more practice on "distressing".
Just now as I was looking at my card, it brought to mind my first pet parakeet 43 years ago. I was sad when he died and even took him to LA Griffith Park to bury him. I bought another bird shortly after but it wasn't the same and ended up giving him away. Hmmm, the memories this brought back...
The challenges I'm entering:
Stampin' for the Weekend, Challenge #4 - Monochrome
Simon Says Stamp - Coffee and Cream
Simon Says Stamp and Show - some Stripes
Paper Sundaes, Challenge #57 - Masculine Colours
Stamp Something - Flowers--show a flower or two
The recipe:
Stamp: Hero Arts-Birdcage; Stampendous-Birthday Words
Paper: Basic Grey-Basics Kraft
Ink: Distress Ink-Brushed Corduroy
Other: Nestabilities, EK-bird punch, Tim Holtz-paper distresser, Martha Stewart-seam binding ribbon (crumpled), doilie, lace, flower, adhesive pearls, pop dots
Hope you're all having a wonderful weekend!
Thanks for stopping by!
20 comments:
This has a lovely vintage feel as well!
Wow Shirley! Your card is so clean and stunning!
I really admire ALL your lovely creations!
Hugs xoxo,
Maribeth ;D
this is so pretty and elegant, Shirley! such a beautiful design. thanks for sharing your memory with your pet parakeet. that is so sweet and heartwarming. sending you hugs! =) have a lovely weekend!
this is such a pretty card, Shirley.thanks for sharing such heartwarming memory!
This card came out really nice! i gotta practice distressing too! hope you're having an awesome weekend!
Great card, I love the distressed effect you've used on the edges! The Design Team are really pleased that you joined us for the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge this week - Thank you!
lovely nostalgic feel Shirley... I can see why it brought memories to mind... TFS!
Pam Going Postal
I love how you used the rubber stamped image of the bird cage. The whole card has a unified look and a quiet sadness to it. I'm going to try to use the look on a sympathy card. Sometimes it is important to not be so colorful and embellished.
TFS your story! I'm in tears . . . this is such a tribute to your beloved parakeet. I luv how you used the monochromatic tones. Just jaw dropping! :)
Oh my word! Shirley! this is absolutely GORGEOUS! I love your vintage monochromatic card .. it's amazing!
Thank you for sharing your story about your beloved parakeet .. and that was quite a special burial that you gave him. :)
Love,
Elise
Very pretty. Love the monochromatic look! Thanks for playing along with us at Paper Sundaes! Hope to see you back next week.
Tracy
Hi Shirley!! WOW! This is so gorgeous!! I love the colors and Vintage style of this!! Bird cages are such the "in" thing right now! :) Such a gorgeous card!! TFS! HUGS
what a lovely card. I never tried this style yet, but it looks like fun. hope you had a wonderful weekend and a great week!
Oh this is beautiful! love the birdcage! thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp! hugs, Jane x
this is a gorgeous card hun, what a brilliant card. hugs rachxx
Oh Shirley thank you for sharing your story about your parakeet, yes somehow things are just never the same. I totally understand.
What a beautiful card you've made, I love the vintage feel to it!
Hugs
Jodi =)
Great monochromatic card, Shirley! And such a sweet tale about your pet parakeet. Love this nostalgic creation! Have a wonderful week!
Such a beautiful card and story of your parakeet, what would we do without pets in our lives.
Love the monochromatic look with the empty bird cage and the bird flying free, very stunning Shirley!
Very sweet card! I love how you did the edges around the card!
Thank you for joining us over at Stampin for the Weekend
Have a blessed day
Heidi-Mari
Gorgeous card Shirley! Love the lace ribbon you used.
Hugs,
Larissa
Post a Comment