Friday, November 13, 2009

Snow Anya



Happy Friday the 13th to yah all!  Are you superstitious?  Not me!   Friday the 13th is a great day for our family--my DH and eldest son were both born on that day, so I consider it to be a lucky day!

As I was surfing the web yesterday, I came across Flourishes "Favorite Things" Challenge.  The challenge is "to be inspired in some way by the words of the decades old Christmas favorite from the Sound of Music".  So, here are a few of the lines that inspired me to make this card...

Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens...
Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favorite things

I can just see Julie Andrews singing this song.  Wasn't that a great movie!

What also inspired me were the cards made by Jodi Lee and Becca Feeken and I cased their ideas in making my card.  They are such talented ladies, you must visit their blogs if you haven't already.  I used the Snow Anya stamp from the set "Rain Snow Shine", colored her with copic markers, put Fun Flock on her hand warmer and snow boots, and added glitters to the bottom of her dress.  I glued the Silver Bells Dew Drops on the poinsettias (I seem to be using dew drops on all of my cards lately, love this stuff) and embossed all the papers.  You can find both the stamp and the Dew Drops at Little C's.  I also lined the top part of her earmuffs, her eyes, her buttons and her shoe laces with the black atyou Spica pen.  You can't see it in the picture too well but it gives it a hint of glitter.  Thanks again, Sue, for your great Spica pens candy!

Luckily there were several other challenges that also fit this card perfectly.  Here's my list of challenges for Snow Anya:

1.  Flourishes - Favorite Things Challenge
2.  By the Cute and Girly - Winter Wonderland
3.  Colour Create - Blue, Silver, and White
4.  Die Cuts R Us - Emboss Something!!!
5.  La-La-Land Crafts - Getting Punchy!
6.  Cupcake Craft Challenges - Snow Much Fun!

After making the easel card, I thought of making a stand for this card in a more simplified way, using only a rectagular piece of paper and two buttons, to keep my card from falling.  Here are some pics to show you what I mean...


Card recipe:
Paper:  Chatterbox and Bazzill CS
Stamp:  The Greeting Farm, Rain Snow Shine set
Ink:  Copic markers
Accessories:  Spellbinders Nestabilities Oval Die and Borderabilities Grand 12" Poinsettia; Dew Drops; Stampendous Snow Flock; Glitter; Atyou Spica black pen and Offray ribbon

Thanks for sharing this day with me.  Have a great Friday the 13th!

P.S.
I wrote this blog last night and I saved it at midnite to review today before publishing.  Well first thing this morning I went blog hopping and what did I tell you about Friday the 13th being a lucky day?  This is what I saw...

I was the winner of Brenda's Birthday Blog Candy!    Besides all the goodies she added, the greatest part of all was winning the beautiful organizer and recipe book that she made!  Yup, today is my lucky day!  Thanks so much, Brenda, and Happy Birthday!!!    You are certainly Sweet as a Gumdrop!                       


54 comments:

LORi said...

Oh Shirley...this is soft and stunning!! Just breath taking!! Thank you for sharing this beauty with DCRU this week!!

Hugs ~ LORi

BTW, The Sound Of Music is my favorite movie!!!

Michelle Alejandro said...

Congrats on winning Brenda's blog! Such great stuff! Love your card, really elegant and beautiful! Love the poinsettias and the colors you used!

Btw, to make my shoes and hair shiny on my images I coat them with Crystal effect (lacquer) and let them dry for about 30 minutes. Have a great weekend!
Hugs,
Michelle

Brenda said...

Congrats on winning my blog candy! BTW: love the card... makes it feel like Christmas is going to be here soon! I'm sure your card will win some of the challenges like your other card did! Have a great weekend!

Amanda said...

wow this is awesome. I love how you have cut out the petals to create a gorgeous flower. I love Anya is beautiful.

I also love Julie Andrews and that film was the best ever.
Amanda

Bumbles and Fairy-Tales said...

This is such a beautiful card! I love the mostly white and embossing you did! Outstanding job!
Thanks for playing along with us at DCRU!
~ margie

Nicola said...

Wow this is so beautiful Shirley. Loving your soft colours and gorgeous embossing.
Congratulations candy girl.
Hugs,
Nicola -x-

Stephanie said...

Congrats on your blog candy win!

I've been blog hoping today & can I just say, this is one of my favourite cards I've seen - it's stunning!!

Have a great weekend hun
Love Steph xxx

Unknown said...

Congrats on winning the blog candy! Your card is so beautiful! Have a great weekend :)

Julie Koerber said...

Now this is one darling creation! Love that winter white with all the pearly effects! Very, very cute!

Anonymous said...

Shirley, this is BEAUTIFUL! so striking and perfect w/the song! Inspiring too!
Pam Going Postal

kris said...

Oh my Shirley!! this card is simply gorgeous... love it done with white! wow! good luck sweetie, this is a stunning creation! and hey, Congrats on your blog candy win!!! more goodies for you to play with! have a great weekend! hugs, Kris

Jenny V. said...

Congrats on winning Brenda's blog candy! Wow love this card. Your creations are beautiful. Love that poinsettias emboss and cut. What brand is that from? Have a great weekend.

Danni said...

Wow, wow, wow!! This is just amazing!! A real show stopper!! Gorgeous!!

Amber said...

Shirley your card is BEAUTIFUL!!! Words can't do it justice! LOVE the image, it reminds me of a Winter Wonderland! You are amazingly talented! And congrats on the blog candy!!!!
Hugs
Amber *DCRU DT*

jem (jane elizabeth middleton) said...

just using two colours has made this card so stunning, I love the flowers, really beautiful, thanks for sharing your card with cute and girly. janex

Cara said...

Hi, Shirley! What a lovely card! The colors are so soft and feminine-just gorgeous! Thanks for joining the DCRU challenge!
Cara DCRU DT

Cindy Haffner said...

Shirley this is GORGEOUS.

Beryl said...

This is just so gorgeous. The flowers are amazing and the image very sweet.
Thanks you for joining us at By the Cute and Girly.
Beryl xx

Liza said...

A gorgeous card, perfect for this week's theme. Thanks for joining us at CCC.

Liza x

Denise said...

Shirley, this is absolutely Stunning!! I Love it. Have a nice weekend.

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Oh Shirley!! Anya looks so sweet!! I love your soft colors and all the white!! Framing her with those poinsettias is stunning!! Love it!!

Janiel/ janny said...

WOW Shirley What a STUNNING card!!!! First time I have been to your beautiufl blog..
thank you for joining us at Colour Create.. hugs, Janiel

Elena said...

Wow! This card is absolutely stunning! I really like the beautiful design of it!
Thank you so much for joining our challenge at La-La Land!

Anonymous said...

WOWZER!! Shirley, this is sooo very stunning!! What amazing details and your coloring is just fabulous!! You are so talented hun!! TFS !HUGS

Cyndi said...

I saw your blog through another fellow Hawaii crafter...and wow, your creations are amazing! One day I hope I create nice things like that! TFS!

Anonymous said...

Shirley this is just gorgeous!!! I love the color combo and those punched areas are brilliant!! So pretty!!
Thanks so much for joining us at La La Land!
:)Kathy

brenda said...

Hello Shirley

This is gorgous, wonderful layout and attention to detail.

Thank you for sharing it with us at BTCG.

B x

Juls said...

This is STUNNING!!! Love the embossing, you have coloured your Anya beautifully!! such a striking card, Love it!! Thanks for joining us at BTC&G!

Anonymous said...

WOW, wow, wow! Your card is GORGEOUS!! I love the crisp white on this card, it just really jumps off the page. Your coloring of Anya is beautiful. What an awesome, amazing card!!! hugz, Mary

Donna said...

Fantastic card Shirley, such a beautiful combination of elements and just perfect for our snowy theme challenge. Thanks for playing along with us at Cupcake this week :) Donna x

Sammye Jo said...

Congrats on your DCRU DT Award!!!! Hope you will play again soon!!

The Crafty Den said...

Hi Shirley, what a beautiful card. The white background with the poinsettia's popping up is so gorgeous and the image is so adorable. Thanks so much for sharing this with us at cupcake craft challenge this week. Hugs, Denise x

Kim Costello said...

Oh Shirley this card is beautiful love the specail details very pretty. Thanks for stopping by my blog and your lovely comments HuGs Kim :)

Gwen's Busy Little Hands said...

Beautifully done! I'm not sure what else to say...this is absolutely beautiful. The kind of card you don't want to put away after the season ends.

smiles!
Gwen

Jules said...

Hi Shirley

Wow - how beautiful is this!

I love your image and layout and the ingenious way you have brought texture to your creation.

Gorgeous.

Thank you for playing along with By the Cute and Girly this month.

Love Jules xx

Risa said...

What a super stunning card! I love your layout, the detailing is fabulous!
hugs
Risa:)
p.s. Congratulations on winning the awesome blog candy also:)

Deanne said...

Wow Shirley! This card is just fabulous! Your details are gorgeous! Great work! Thanks for joining in at Colour Create!

xx-Deanne and the entire Colour Create Design Team

Jodi said...

Congratulations on your blog candy win! Love this pretty snow card and the added floral details. A gorgeous card!
Hugs
Jodi =)

Unknown said...

Wow, Shirley! This is absolutely stunning! LVOE LOVE LOVE your card! BEAUTIFUL! Thanks so much for playing along at La La Land Crafts!

Maureen said...

Wow - this is just totally gorgeous! LOVE the elegance of all the white embossing and that ribbon and bow are just the perfect touches! Thanks for joining us at La-La's Weekly Wednesday Challenge!

Jane Izumi Matsumoto said...

A stunning entry, Shirley! The card is so elegant. Gorgeous punch work and embossing! Thank you for playing along with us at La-La Land Crafts! Be sure to come back to our blog and see for yourself... CONGRATULATIONS!!! xx Jane

1LuvnMama said...

Congratualations Shirley on winning the La La Land Crafts challenge! That card was AMAZING! Luv'd the color combo as well as the use of your dies! :) I'm now a FOLLOWER!

Michele Roos said...

Gorgeous card Shirley, love the image you've used and the colours also. Hugs Michele x

Maylee said...

Wow! This is absolutely jaw dropping gorgeous Shirley!!

Dena said...

What a stunner this it!!!! I loooove those flowers!!! Gorgeous! The way you colored her looks perfect! Well done!
Thanks for joining CC this week!
Hugs, Dena

Jeanette said...

Oh my gosh Shirley! this is stunning! I love the blue and white combo and I totally have that song running through my head now! LOL! I love that movie and all the songs. It is timeless!
Hugs Jeanette

Mina said...

stunning card Shirley, I love your pretty flowers...thanks for joining in with the Colour Create challenge
Mina xxx

Scrappymax said...

This is a stunning card and I love the all whiteThanks for joining us this month at BTC&G.
Max x feel.

debby4000 said...

Oh WOW this is stunning.
luv
Debby

Lilian said...

This is just a WOW card Shirley! I know I'm late to say so but I had to comment and let you know it's GORGEOUS!!!

Teri said...

This card is just too beautiful shirley! I love all of the details!

Anonymous said...

OMG, beautiful card!!! love it..

Lora said...

Oh this is just beautiful! The white ad blue looks so elegant but Christmassy at the same time, I love it!
Thanks for joining us at BTC&G.
Lora x

Anonymous said...

Shirley, Tammy told me about your blog and I just love looking at the beautiful cards you make. You are an inspiration!
Arlene