Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A New Year Challenge



Hello everyone.  Happy New Year!  I hope everyone had a safe and fabulous New Year celebration.  Are you all ready for another year of crafting?  I kinda sorta lost my mojo and couldn't get back into the mood to craft but as I was blog hopping yesterday, I came across a challenge I couldn't resist.

Hop on over to Caardvarks' and check out their New Year Kick-Off Challenge which is to create a card based on this sketch.  Their sponsor is JustRite Stampers and the prize is 2 new stamp sets plus a $100 gift certificate to JustRite Stampers.   Now is that enough to make you want to enter, too? 


My entry is pretty much a CAS card as I followed the sketch pretty closely.  I used the JustRite oval border stamp, left the inside blank and cut it out with one of the Large Classic Oval Nestabilities (see Karen's alignment tips).  Since both of my JustRite sets are for Christmas, I used a rub-on sentiment and a Hero Art's stamp instead.  If you have not heard about JustRite Stamps, check out their site and see how versatile these stamps are.  It works well with the Nestabilities, too (click here to see their compatibility chart).

Card recipe:
Paper:  Sweetwater
Stamp:  Hero Arts Holiday Birds, JustRite Oval Border Christmas Joy set
Ink:  Copic Markers, Memento Tuxedo Black
Embellies:  Silk ribbon (not sure of the brand but I got it at MunchKins, Kaisercraft Pearl Strips, Crystal Stickers, flowers, rubon stitches and sentiment
Tools:  Nestabilities, Martha Stewart Border Punch

Thank you for looking and have a great day!


                                        

22 comments:

donna mikasa said...

Oh, am I the first to comment? Beautiful card, Shirley! The colors and the design are perfect--and so is that little birdie! Love it!

kris said...

Wow Shirley!!! for losing your mojo you surely got it back here.... this is gorgeous! Good luck girl!! i'm cheering for you! Happy New Year!!! hugs, Kris

Denise said...

Shirley,
This is so pretty! Love the layout, and the beautiful flowers & pearls are a dainty touch!
Hugs,
Denise

1LuvnMama said...

NO losing your mojo here . . . don't think you ever lost it for that matter! :) I luv this card . . . it's simple but bold with the sentiment being the focal point! The colors are perfect too! Have a good one! :O)

CHARLOTTE said...

Oh my, Shirley, this card is perfect ... just beautiful, especially the bow!

Brenda said...

For someone who said she lost her mojo surely got it back in a snap with that challenge, huh? Glad you're back. Great card! Good luck!

Michelle Alejandro said...

Shirley this is so fab! Love the soft purples! I think you got your mojo back and then some!

Hugs,
Michelle

Jodi said...

This is just too cute!! I love the combo of various shades of purple!!
Hugs
Jodi =)

Joy said...

this is such a cute and danity card! I love the way it looks and it's purple =) I hope you win the challenge! great take on it! glad you got your mojo back to create! here's to more creations by you to inspire me in 2010! lol!

Anonymous said...

Hi Shirley!! WOW!! This is just beautiful!! I love the colors of course!! :) HUGS

Cindy Haffner said...

Oh this is so pretty.

Unknown said...

Hi Shirley! Happy New Year. Your card is so beautiful. Great take on the sketch :)

Juls said...

This is gorgeous!! Love the fab colour combo and the gorgeous bird image!! Fab Hugs Juls

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card!

Sue from Oregon said...

Totally awesome card Shirley...and this DP is to die for!

Cyndi said...

I love your purple card! The little bird is cute too!

Lilian said...

Hi Shirley! Your CAS card is gorgeous! Love the clean look :) Have a wonderful day!

dstandard said...

What a beautiful card!

Elise said...

Oh Shirley! You've made such a gorgeous card! I love the purples you've put together! And your bow is just so perfect! I love your card! :)
Hugs,
Elise

Jenny Gropp said...

This is so sweet!!! Love it!

Amy said...

Such a elegant and beautiful card Shirley! Love that cute little bird, too! :)

jojoscraps said...

I like your take on this sketch Shirley. And the pearls are a sweet touch as well. So pretty!
Jo xx